Talpa Network’s Proposed Merger With RTL Nederland

Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer advised Talpa Network on the deal. While NautaDutilh assisted RTL Group.

Talpa Network proposed a merger with RTL Nederland, merging their broadcasting and affiliated media businesses in the Netherlands. Talpa Network will contribute its TV, radio, print, digital, e-commerce and other assets to RTL Nederland and will receive a 30 per cent stake in RTL Nederland in return. RTL Group will hold the remaining 70 per cent in the combined group. Talpa Network’s content units (Talpa Concepts, Talpa Entertainment Producties) and RTL Nederland will furthermore enter into a content agreement for newly developed formats for linear TV channels and for the streaming service Videoland.

The transaction is subject to approval from the competition authorities and is expected to close in the first half of 2022. The advisory process with the respective works councils will start in due course.

Talpa Network is the company in which John de Mol Jr. has transferred all of its media activities. Besides John de Mol, who as majority shareholder owns 80% of the company, Rabo Participaties owns a 20% stake in the media company. The holding company has amongst the 538 group with radio station Radio 538.

RTL Nederland Holding B.V. is a subsidiary of the RTL Group.

The Freshfields team was led by partner Harald Spruit (Picture) and principal associate Saloua Ouchan together with senior associate Marius Weyers and associates Julius Kahn, Ingrid van den Bosch, Maxine Lemstra and Tijn Mandema (Corporate/M&A). Antitrust advice was provided by counsel Alvaro Pliego Selie and associate Max Immerzeel whereas employment advice was provided by partner Brechje Nollen and associate Julia Heusden. Tax advice was provided by partner Bob van Kasteren and associate Daan van Schaik. Senior associate Mark Egeler advised on data, privacy and IP together with associate Hiske Roos.

The NautaDutilh team for this deal consisted of Joost den Engelsman, Lieke van der Velden, Willianne van Zandwijk, Jacqueline Clement, Edger Kleijer, Naomi Asscheman, Maarten Schellingerhout (Corporate M&A); Joris Willems and Marlous Schrijvers (TMT); Sophie van Lanschot and Celine Houwen (Corporate Notarial) Edward Rijnhout, Sjuul Jentjens, Ashley Beesemer (Tax); Mauricette Schaufeli and Felix Seuntjens (Competition); Jolize Lautenbach (Public & Regulatory), Margaretha Wilkenhuysen (Corporate M&A, Luxembourg) and Vincent Wellens (Competition, Luxembourg).

Involved fees earner: Mark Egeler – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; Julia Heusden – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; Max Immerzeel – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; Julius Kahn – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; Brechje Nollen – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; Saloua Ouchan – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; Alvaro Selie – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; Hiske Roos – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; Harald Spruit – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; Ingrid van den Bosch – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; Bob van Kasteren – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; Daan van Schaik – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; Marius Weyers – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; Naomi Asscheman – NautaDutilh; Ashley Beesemer – NautaDutilh; Jacqueline Clement – NautaDutilh; Joost den Engelsman – NautaDutilh; Celine Houwen – NautaDutilh; Sjuul Jentjens – NautaDutilh; Edger Kleijer – NautaDutilh; Jolize Lautenbach – NautaDutilh; Edward Rijnhout – NautaDutilh; Mauricette Schaufeli – NautaDutilh; Maarten Schellingerhout – NautaDutilh; Marlous Schrijvers – NautaDutilh; Felix Seuntjens – NautaDutilh; Lieke van der Velden – NautaDutilh; Sophie van Lanschot – NautaDutilh; Willianne Van Zandwijk – NautaDutilh; Vincent Wellens – NautaDutilh; Margaretha Wilkenhuysen – NautaDutilh; Joris Willems – NautaDutilh;

Law Firms: Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP; NautaDutilh;

Clients: RTL Group; Talpa Network;

Author: Federica Tiefenthaler