Rhône Capital’s Acquisition of 45% stake in Maxam


Kirkland & Ellis, Pérez-Llorca, Uría Menéndez, Machado Meyer and Clifford Chance advised on the deal

Advent International and Rhône Capital today announced an agreement for Advent to sell its 45% interest in the share capital of MAXAM to investment funds affiliated with Rhône Capital (“Rhône”). MAXAM’s shareholder group, led by Chairman and CEO José F. Sánchez-Junco, will continue to hold the remaining 55% of the company’s shares. The value of the transaction has not been disclosed and is subject to customary regulatory approvals.

MAXAM’s origins date back to 1872, when Alfred Nobel founded Sociedad Española de Dinamita Privilegios A. Nobel in Bilbao. Over recent years, the company has evolved from a Spanish manufacturer of explosives towards a global technology leader, which specializes in energetic materials. Today, MAXAM has with over 6,500 employees, subsidiaries in more than 50 countries and generates sales in over 100 countries. This transformation – based on targeted international expansion and the development of a best in class technology platform – has been accompanied by continuous profitable growth.

Advent, which acquired its stake in MAXAM in February 2012, has actively contributed to the strategy crafted by the MAXAM management team, enabling the company to fulfil its domestic and international growth ambitions by expanding and strengthening its footprint in key markets, through organic growth.

Kirkland & Ellis LLP advised Rhône Capital LLC with James Learner (Picture) and Celyn Evans.

In Spain, Pérez-Llorca advised Rhône Capital LLC with Pedro Pérez-Llorca, Javier Carvajal García-Valdecasas, Álvaro Ramírez de Haro, José Luis Romeu, Victoria Martín and Carlos Mercadal.

Uría Menéndez Advent International Corporation advised Advent International Corporation with Christian Hoedl, Jaime Folguera, Miguel Bolívar, Ana Raquel Lapresta and María Rein.

In Brazil, Machado Meyer Advogados advised Rhône Capital LLC and MaxamCorp Holding, S.L. withTito Amaral de Andrade and Thalita Novo.

Clifford Chance advised MaxamCorp Holding, S.L. (Maxam) with Samir Azzouzi, Laura Milian and Patricia Puertas.

Involved fees earner: Tito Amaral de Andrade – Machado, Meyer, Sendacz e Opice; Thalita Novo – Machado, Meyer, Sendacz e Opice; Pedro Pérez-Llorca – Perez-Llorca; Javier Carvajal – Perez-Llorca; Álvaro Ramírez de Haro – Perez-Llorca; José Luis Romeu – Perez-Llorca; Victoria Martín Di Costanzo – Perez-Llorca; Carlos Mercadal – Perez-Llorca; Christian Hoedl – Uría Menéndez; Jaime Folguera – Uría Menéndez; Ana Raquel Lapresta – Uría Menéndez; Miguel Bolivar – Uría Menéndez; James Learner – Kirkland & Ellis; Celyn Evans – Kirkland & Ellis; Samir Azzouzi – Clifford Chance; Laura Milian – Clifford Chance;

Law Firms: Machado, Meyer, Sendacz e Opice; Perez-Llorca; Uría Menéndez; Kirkland & Ellis; Clifford Chance;

Clients: Advent International; Rhône Capital LLC; MaxamCorp Holding, S.L.;