City Football Group’s Acquisition of Majority Stake in Mumbai City FC

Khaitan & Co advised City Football Group Limited on their acquisition of Mumbai City FC.

City Football Group (CFG) acquired a majority stake in its eighth club, Mumbai City FC in the Indian Super League, marking a major move into Indian football.

CFG became the 65% majority shareholder of the Club, alongside existing shareholders, acclaimed actor and film producer, Ranbir Kapoor and Bimal Parekh who combined will hold the remaining 35% of shares. Completion of the investment remains subject to the approval of certain football bodies.

The Khaitan team was composed by Partner Nikhil Narayanan (Picture), Tanvi Kumar (Partner), Siddharth Marwah (Senior Associate), Govinda Toshniwal (Senior Associate), Pranay Kapoor (Associate), Rohit Ambast (Principal Associate), Indruj Rai (Partner) and Aashima Sawhney (Associate).

Involved fees earner: Rohit Ambast – Khaitan & Co.; Pranay Kapoor – Khaitan & Co.; Tanvi Kumar – Khaitan & Co.; Siddharth Marwah – Khaitan & Co.; Nikhil Narayanan – Khaitan & Co.; Indruj Rai – Khaitan & Co.; Aashima Sawhney – Khaitan & Co.; Govinda Toshniwal – Khaitan & Co.;

Law Firms: Khaitan & Co.;

Clients: City Football Group Ltd.;

Author: Michael Patrini